Monday, December 17, 2007

Just in time for xmas!

Last week, during my daily "keep-from-doing-productive-things" quest for non-mainstream information and other radical notions, the surfing of my favorite blogs and forums, I ran across a comment that was new to me, but obviously not to others:

The "H" in "Jesus H. Christ!!!", I now know, stands for HAPLOID. Haploid is a scientific term used to describe cells containing one member of each homologous pair of chromosomes.

When I read this, it was all I could do to keep my monitor clean and dry while remaining upright in my chair. I mean, it makes perfect sense! Since (I assume) the christian god did not physically have sex with the Mary of the story, Jesus' cells would contain only half of the normal complement of chromosomes. I also assume "he" would only have X chromosomes, which makes one want to ascertain whether "he" was actually "she."

After some further surfing, I found that I was simply behind the times, as this is all over teh intarwebs. See for yourself!

Anyway, as an armchair science lover, I suspect there are more than one problem with this in real life, but superficially, it makes sense and it's funny, too! What more can one ask for?

No comments: